3 Steps to Help Manage Your MailLet’s knock out that mail pile sitting in front of you, and I know you just glanced at it while reading this. it’s that bad trust me! Here are three super easy ways to help you sort and manage that mail pile you just keep adding to.
Pick One Area for SortingFirst off, establish one area where you open and process all your mail. This could be a desk, table by the front door, or your kitchen counter. I strongly suggest using the kitchen counter cautiously. Personally, this is what gets my household in trouble. You open, you lay back down in the same spot every day. It just keeps piling up.
Don’t Allow Mail PilingSecondly, do not let it pile up! This is a big one. Make sure you set a specific time each day that you process your mail. For instance, for me, I do it right after work because this is when I check the mail. If you do not have time as soon as you check the mail, make sure you designate a specific time when you can. Make sure you do it daily!
Decide Where it GoesLastly, decision-making time. Do not put it down; put it away. Therefore, the easiest way to do this is by sorting by categories:
- Mail that needs to be read but you do not have the time at the moment.
- Throwaway mail – flyers, junk mail, advertisements, circulars, etc.
- Spouse or children’s mail
- Needs to be file – bills, insurance policy’s, etc.
- Mail that needs to be answered – RSVP’s, forms that need to be filled out and returned.
- A phone call must be made – Maybe you need more explanation than the letter stated. Calling you can get a quicker response and throw away or file the mail quicker rather than later.